Friday, March 1, 2013

Andrew Searles - C`est Moi! C`est Chocolat!

With 17 shows coming up in the March for the Hudson Music Club production of Oklahoma, I highly doubt I will have the time or the energy to see or do anything but sleep, eat and perform (lol).  I am looking forward to celebrating my birthday in March with some great friends and a well deserved dinner and night out. 

We will be heading out to see Andrew Searles new show,C`est Moi! C`est Chocolat!  Just recently on CTV for the promotion of the show ``The Underground Railroad``, an all black Canadian Comedy Tour, he will be headlining the St-Catherine Theatre from March 28th to March 30th.  Alongside Guido Cocomello and Rodney Ramsey and hosted by funny man Franco Taddeo, I am looking forward to a night of fun, craziness and a whole bunch of laughter. Having met Andrew last year at Heavy T`s Comedy Competition, I had a chance to sit down and chat.       

How did you know you wanted to be a comedian?
I was doing a show at John Abbott College when I was hit with an epiphany, I realized that I love making people laugh.  I think it`s the excitement, the touring, meeting new people, it all incorporates in the rush that I get when I am on stage.  My first standing ovation was when I was doing a show at Carleton University; you never forget your first.  The motivation you get from the appreciation of others is what makes it all worthwhile.

Who has motivated you or inspired you as a comedian?
Growing up in Pierrefonds, Quebec, with the diversity and the language, Sugar Sammy was an inspiration as he did not let the boundaries of the language issue stop him from being a success.  It gave me hope especially when you know someone that started with the same background can achieve such recognition.  If he can do it, I am hoping I can do the same.  I was also influenced by Russell Peters and Dave Chappelle, being young and having a diverse ethnicity, I could relate to them.

Some of your favorite stand-up comedy clubs in Montreal?
The Comedy Works and Comedy Nest are essential when starting off doing comedy; some great names have passed through those doors.  Outside of Montreal, I frequently perform at Ottawa`s Absolute Comedy.  

One of the worst shows you performed and why?
I was doing a fundraiser and nobody was paying any attention.  It`s a horrible feeling being ignored when you are performing especially when you put so much effort into your craft.  The final blow came when I was insulted by one of the guest, sometimes you need to be made of steel when being an entertainer.  There will always be some idiot that has nothing better to do than belittle people.  You take it in stride and move on.

What are some of your favorite places in Montreal?
I’m really not a club or bar kind of guy unless I am performing; I prefer taking a walk in the Old Port of Montreal, walking around Mount Royal or just hanging out with friends. I enjoy a really good meal and when i`m around the Cote des Neiges area I always stop by Rayan restaurant, a great seafood place, their shrimp are amazing.

What are we going to see at the show ``C'est moi!, C'est chocolat!``?
I try very hard to incorporate my own personal experiences when performing.  The places that I`ve worked, my personal relationships, taking those situations and turning them into something humerous is the idea behind ``C`est Moi!, C`est Chocolat!``. 

A big thanks to Andrew for taking his time for the blog and for being such a great sport about it.  Ladies, he is single but don`t expect a bad boy, he is the real deal, sweet and charming. The tickets are bought and we are all set for an evening of fun. For anyone else looking for a night of laughter, you can purchase your tickets at: http://theatresaintecatherine.com/en/shows/andrew-searles-is-cest-moi-cest-chocolat




No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 The Covid Year

It took me a while to decide how I was going to start this blog as it has been so long since I have written that I did not want to start on ...