Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Vacationing Alone for the First Time


My philosophy this year is that life is too short. I enjoyed my vacations to other countries when I went with friends and loved ones but time is precious and I did not want to miss an opportunity out of the fear of going alone. I have to thank a colleague of mine as she really did push the subject and considering she is 55 years old and she travels all over the world by herself, it did give me a boost when making the final decision. If she could do it I was pretty sure I could manage it.

I have to admit it was frightening when the time came to jump into the taxi and make my way to the airport as the full realization kicked in that I was leaving. Fear has a funny way of amplifying the situation, will I be lonely, will I get lost, will I be safe or what if I need help seem to cross my mind a lot but nothing ventured is nothing gained, so off I went.

I believe that if you enjoy your own company and know how to keep yourself busy then a solo vacation is for you. I write, film and books are my best friends (finished 4 in one week) so I knew that I would enjoy my time without having to meet anyone and use the time to relax and enjoy the sun. Not having Internet was a little difficult but the break really was refreshing. In this day and age we are all so accustomed to having it as our source of entertainment that we seem to forget that there are other simple pleasures.

I know I am a sociable person but I am shy around people I do not know and in large groups so I was anxious that I would not meet people. Needless to say that I was worried for no reason. From the first day, people were warm, friendly and inviting. I met some really great people from all over Canada and Europe, made new friends and hopefully some lasting connections. A smile really does go a long way.

I must be pretty lucky as I had 7 days of sunshine with no rain, the beach was beautiful and the resort was what I expected. You can catch the video on my YouTube coming up this week to catch a glimpse of the resort, my trip to Havana and meet some of the fun and entertaining people I met. https://www.youtube.com/femmechakra

did learn a lot this week. I feel braver, self-reliant and self-assured that I am capable of doing anything once I set my mind to it. The relaxation, the sun, the beach and the peace and quiet gave me time to focus and think clearly.  Being sociable and listening to their stories not only widened my mindset but reminded me how much I really do enjoy meeting new people. It really did give me a lot to reflect on and I am proud that I did not let fear and self-doubt get in my way of experiencing something new and different. If you ever thought of leaving alone, do it, it is well worth it. All in all, a well needed and deserved vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 The Covid Year

It took me a while to decide how I was going to start this blog as it has been so long since I have written that I did not want to start on ...