Saturday, February 7, 2015

Adult ballet classes with Sheila Lawrence

I grew up in ballet which makes me very grateful that I learned a technique that has helped me to love and appreciate all forms of dance. I still believe today that it is fundamental as it teaches the core of movement, flexibility and precision. It is a highly technical form of dance and requires years of training to learn and master. It was not always my favorite class as I preferred music that made me bounce, jump or slide but I would not be the dancer I am today without the discipline dedication required by ballet. I returned to taking ballet classes once in a while in the last few years and I still greatly benefit from it.

Sheila Lawrence danced professionally with les Ballet Chiriaff (which is now known as Les Grands Ballets Canadian) under the direction of Ludmilla Chiriaeff whom is a legend in her own right in regards to development of Ballet in Quebec. Formally trained in Ottawa as well as in England, she is a respected ballet and jazz choreographer. She is a teacher as well as mother and grand-mother and has dedicated her life to the love of ballet and jazz dance. Having choreographed and/or taught at L`Ecole Superieure de Danse, Ballet Ouest, Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal, to mention a few, she has also produced, directed and choreographed two full productions presented at the Centaur Theatre. A woman of dedication and passion, she has lived dance all her life.
If you are looking at taking adult classes, she has a drop in class ($15.00) on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:15 - 10:45 at 1090 Greene Avenue for intermediate to advanced dancers or you can join her at the Victoria Hall in Westmount http://westmount.org/victoria-hall-community-centre/  in the evenings for a beginner or intermediate class. If you register, classes are $12.00 per class, an exceptional price for the technique and training you will receive for this 1h30m class. It is a great way to get back into shape if you love pushing limits, technical training and appreciate classical music. I drop in periodically so feel free to let me know if you decide to take a class, I would love to see you there! (Photos courtesy of Sheila Lawrence)

My Montreal Art and Fitness on FACEBOOK , TWITTER, and GOOGLE + (Click on the name to follow and for updates!)

2 comments:

  1. this is really wonderful classic ballet about Adult ballet classes with Sheila Lawrence. thanks so much to bring this post.

    Ballet business | Rachel Withers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post. I am dancing, yoga and barre class lover. I feel good and flexible by doing these. I got to know many new things from your blog. Thank you very much. I am refreshed.




    Ballet Equipment |
    Where can I go to a ballet fitness class

    ReplyDelete

2020 The Covid Year

It took me a while to decide how I was going to start this blog as it has been so long since I have written that I did not want to start on ...