Saturday, January 31, 2015

Why I left the Zumba Fitness Program


Let me begin by saying that the program itself for me has been a great experience since I first got certified in March 2014. It was a stepping stone to where I am today and I am extremely happy that I went out and did something different on my quest to get back into shape. It has led me to try different classes, create choreographies and inspired me to continue to write.

As a form of cardiovascular work out, Zumba Fitness is one of my favorites. I love Latin music and it`s fun. For those that need motivation to get back into shape, it is a great way to get moving. There are some really great recommended teachers out there that know how a class should be run and what is expected in regards to health and safety.

As someone that has been dancing since I was 5, it`s a very conflicting situation for me. On one side, you have a great work out that gets people moving versus the fact that anyone can become a Zumba Fitness instructor and teach. It is my belief that anyone that has a desire to teach any form of physical fitness or dance should have pre- requisites and/or references to teach. In my opinion, an 8 hour class to obtain a certificate is not safe enough to be teaching. That means, whether it`s me who has over 15 years of dancing technique or someone else that has never taken a fitness program or dance class, can both teach if we both pay.

Don`t get me wrong, there are many that have an abundance of technique and know how to be teaching the program but in the end, I don`t feel right about a program that allows just anyone to pay and obtain a certificate. My mother would be outraged that she paid 15 years of dance (lol). My advice still stands, get to know your instructor and find out as much as you can before taking a class.

Although I will not be teaching Zumba Fitness, I will still recommend if I can those that have significant dance or fitness training and teach Zumba. It is a fun program that get`s people exercising and that`s very important. Dancing is one of the best ways to get back into shape and anything that can make you move is a good thing.

Right now I will concentrate on taking different classes to see what is going on in Montreal and experiment with my own choreographies, we will see how that goes. Until then, I wish everyone nothing but the best and feel free to recommend classes, I am having a blast!

You can always review on YouTube my Zumba choreographies, the interview I did with Guylaine Thibault (whom is a really great instructor - https://www.facebook.com/danzajam?fref=ts) as well as why I am doing My Montreal Art & Fitness at https://www.youtube.com/user/femmechakra.

My Montreal Art and Fitness on FACEBOOK , TWITTER, and GOOGLE + (Click on the name to follow and for updates!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 The Covid Year

It took me a while to decide how I was going to start this blog as it has been so long since I have written that I did not want to start on ...