Thursday, January 8, 2015

Start the year laughing with Guido Cocomello

Recently I had a chat with Guido Cocomello regarding his upcoming one man show that will be playing at the Hudson Theatre on January 17, 2015. If you are looking at starting the year off with a laugh, it`s a cute place with a quaint little city and Cunningham`s has offered a drink on the house if you stop by after the show (bring your ticket).

If you did not know, Guido Cocomello is a trilingual Italian born stand-up comedian, actor and performer born in Montreal, QC. He grew up in St-Laurent area and has been a frequent entertainer in and around the Montreal area as well as in Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver. Having done several movies, including A Dennis the Menace Christmas, he has made appearances in both film and television on NBC, CBC, CTV and YTV. He has performed in five Centaur Theatre productions, including in 2013, playwright Steve Galluccio`s play, The St. Leonard Chronicles. He began in 2009 taking comedy classes given by Joey Ellias, the host of The Comedy Show, which airs on Montreal`s 800 CJAD radio. With the help of the late comedian, Jocko Alston, he began booking local shows and between the love of theatre and stand-up comedy, he discovered that being in front of a live audience is what he wanted to do. (Photo courtesy Reese Turner) 

The last time I saw your comedy you had just gotten married and had a child. That must have been a life changing time?
Becoming a father changes you. I remember being really panicked about the whole situation. Going from someone that had no responsibilities to being a new father is always scary but my son makes me a better person.

How do you think that changed your stand up comedy?
Having a child is the best motivation for being more disciplined and serious. I write everyday, I am more focused and I love that he inspires me.

What will we see at the Hudson Theatre?
My stand up comedy is about my experiences. I tell it like I lived it, it's a no holds barred account of my life, nothing is off limits. Being a father today and how it was when I was single, about fidelity and the ups and downs of life, I am honest about who I am. My aim is to make people laugh while giving them a glimpse of what I've lived and learned. It`s a stepping stone to the next part of my stand up career.

You made your European debut in November 2013 in "Crisi d'Identita", how was that?
It was different and I was nervous. It was more on a theatrical level than a stand-up comedy routine but it was a great experience. Growing up in Montreal, I frequently heard "you sound so Italian", over there, I was the Canadian Italian that didn't really sound Italian. It's a different culture and a different way of life and I learned a lot about myself.

One of the best shows and why?
The comedy Soprano show that I performed at Theatre of the Leonardo Da Vinci Centre in St-Leonard. My parents and friends were there to support me and it was that moment of clarity when I realised that this is exactly what I should be doing.

What do you think is the hardest part about being a standup comedian?
To not let a bad show define you. To get over and move on.

Some of your favorite places in and around the Montreal area?
My Sunday morning swim with my son and when I have time to relax, at DiFranco`s in Old Montreal, a nice Italian restaurant. Occasionally, you can find me at Woo-Hoo`s in Vaudreuil, coolest kid hang out.

If you are up for a night of laughter, you can buy tickets at http://www.villagetheatre.ca/Show/186.aspx. He will also be at the Centaur theatre from March 24, 2015 to April 19, 2014 playing in ``The Envelope``, by Vittorio Rossi. http://www.centaurtheatre.com/theenvelope.php .

Follow My Montreal Art and Fitness on Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/femmechakra?ref=hl, Twitter https://twitter.com/femmechakra and Google + https://plus.google.com/113725386367312833455/posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 The Covid Year

It took me a while to decide how I was going to start this blog as it has been so long since I have written that I did not want to start on ...