Monday, June 25, 2012

Neil Diamond in Montreal

I ventured on Thursday night to see Neil Diamond at the Bell Centre.  I received free tickets at the last minute and albeit not knowing his music, I feel there is always something to learn and experience when seeing an artist live.  I consider him a legend in his own right.  Any artist that has entertained an audience for more than 40 years should receive a certain level of respect.  He had his first hit in 1966 and had sold more than 115 million records worldwide. If that alone does not grant him legend status, I don`t know what would. 

I have to admit that for once I felt like a kid.  Considering that his audience is fifty plus in age, I did feel like a spring chicken – lol.  The stage effects were impressive and the full piece band as well as the backup vocalists gave the show the depth it needed.  As per his vocals, they started off a little rough but I assume that had more to with the sound technicians than Neil himself.  Two or Three songs into the show, you could tell why he is the entertainer that so many love.  His confidence and charisma as well as his ability to captivate the audience are what set him apart from the rest.  You could see the appreciation from the smiling faces singing along to his music.

I do think that I would have appreciated the show a lot more if I had known more of his songs.  ``Girl You`ll Be a Woman Soon`` and ``Red Red Wine`` were amongst some of my favorites as well as the song ``You Don`t Bring Me Flowers``.  All in all, it was a relaxing and entertaining night.  A huge thanks to Claudia for the tickets, it was much appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up listening to Neil Diamond....he is a favorite of mine....thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

2020 The Covid Year

It took me a while to decide how I was going to start this blog as it has been so long since I have written that I did not want to start on ...