Friday, May 29, 2015

Free Museum Day in the Old Port of Montreal

Sunday May 24th, albeit starting off as a rather chilly day turned out to be a beautiful day in the Old Port of Montreal. 

Free Museum Day http://museesmontreal.org/en incorporated 34 museums that were open free to the public for one day.  I think the idea is ingenious.  Having lived my entire life in and around the Montreal area, what is more rewarding than getting an education of the history in which I grew up.  If you know how much museums cost, which in turn is needed to maintain them, then you are aware of how much you saved on such an educational day.  The lines are long, the wait is pretty hefty but I have to congratulate the parents that took advantage of the day. 

In the old port, there were 8 museums open to the public.

One of my favorites small museums was the Centre D`Histoire de Montréal .  As I took Québec history in school, the time period that fascinated me the most was Montreal in the 1940`s and 1960`s.  Probably due to my dancing and singing roots, visualizing Montreal as a mini Las Vegas was not only exciting it reminded me that most of of the people I learned from are those that were born and lived through these exciting times.  Everything was being run by the mobs, there were brothels (mostly run by women), strippers, MC`s, dancers, singers, shows all night long with a great supply of old whiskey and wine right off the boats. I think I should have been born in that era (lol). A time where anyone could have a great time.  The exhibition ``Scandale! Vice, crime et moralité à Montréal, 1940-1960``  runs until October 2015 and is part of the permanent exhibition about the history of Quebec from 1640`s until today. Definitely worth the $6.00 dollars if you are ever in the old port area http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=8757,97305573&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL.

Along side, I got to visit the DHC/ART Fondation pour L`Art Contemporain.  They had the exhibition of Yinko Shonibare MBE Collection ``Pièces de Résistance``.  Contemporary art in opinion is very complex.  We look at the art and decide how it relates to our experiences and then try to interpret what the artist may be thinking.  Most of the time, there is no clear connection.  Only when you truly take the time to learn about the artist can you feel a connection to the full masterpiece of the works they create.  He was born in England, London with a Nigerian heritage.  You can learn all about him at http://www.yinkashonibarembe.com/ . Although recognised for his great art he should be a role model for those that think their physical disabilities limit their potential. Always free, you can visit the foundation at 451-465, rue St-Jean in the Old Port of Montreal.  See here for times of this exhibition as well as others at http://dhc-art.org/yinka-shonibare-mbe-exhibition/ and http://dhc-art.org/.

A great idea to promote Museums in Montreal and the Arts. A great free day of learning history, nature, culture and/or the changes, the differences and the history that Montréal has sustained.

I will try and get back this summer.  I saw so much talent as well as some really creative stuff I may want to try that exploring the Old Port was like being on a one day vacation.  The sangria was great as well;)  (All photos featured are part of the exhibition``Scandale! Vice, crime et moralité à Montréal, 1940-1960``.)

Helping to support local artists on My Montreal Art and Fitness.  Follow on FACEBOOK , TWITTER, and GOOGLE + (Click on the name to follow and for updates!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 The Covid Year

It took me a while to decide how I was going to start this blog as it has been so long since I have written that I did not want to start on ...