Saturday, January 17, 2015

Get in shape, try something new - Milan Pole Dance Studio

The other night I ventured out to try a pole dancing class in Old Montreal. Although the stigma stills exists that pole dancing is associated with stripping and strip clubs (which only started in the 60`s), it has evolved into a performance art focusing on fitness. There are many competitions yearly and it concentrates on a non-sexual form of dance incorporating acrobatics and gymnastics.

It is a lot harder than it appears. First, I wasn`t aware that the pole actually turns. The turning of the pole allows you to see the acrobatic side of the sport. I found the movements not only elegant, sensual and feminine but beautiful to watch.

I didn`t look or feel elegant (lol). To be able to lift your full body weight with your arms is extremely difficult. I wouldn`t compare this to Zumba, Aerobics or Bollywood dance, I didn`t feel the fast cardiovascular work out. What I did feel is toning, muscle strengthening, flexibility and endurance, more on the level of gymnastics, yoga or ballet. It`s about precision, applying strength and coordination. My arms, neck, lower and upper back, buttocks and upper legs can agree that this fitness works the muscles.  
 

I believe once you try a few basic classes and your body adjusts to strength and endurance you need, the class can be exceptionally fun. I like popular dance music so it`s great incorporating the dance side and the endurance side of the poll. Watching the teacher, Isabelle, you can see how sensual and artistic this fitness can be. With an upbeat and all around great personality, she will definetely whip you back into shape. Like any dance, sports or training, it takes dedication to reep the awards, no pain, no gain.

Located in the Old Port of Montreal (50 St-Jacques East), Milan Pole Dance Studio offers many classes ranging from a one time basic class at $30.00 ($25.00 if purchased online) to 5 classes for $95.00 (Current promotion - visit their Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/milanpoledanceMTL for updates and specials). If you have ever been curious to try, the ambiance is friendly and you will find all ages and cultures enjoying this new modern version of pole dancing. I will definetely be back to try another class. You can find them at http://www.milanpoledance.com/. Photos courtesy of Emily Leclerc. 

My Montreal Art and Fitness on FACEBOOK , TWITTER, and GOOGLE + (Click on the name to follow and for updates!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 The Covid Year

It took me a while to decide how I was going to start this blog as it has been so long since I have written that I did not want to start on ...