Sunday, August 28, 2016

The Burkini

Having grown up surrounded by religion and in a multi-cultural environment, I tend to ponder questions frequently when a subject falls within those contexts. Maybe it is my love for understanding philosophy and psychology that makes me think and question why at some level I feel as a woman that this affects me.

Keep in mind, this ban was a direct result of the many casualties that have recently occurred in France. Feeling safe after being victimized is an extremely hard process and as a whole I think the country feels threatened by situation not so much by the wearing of the burkini. As the burkini represents the Muslim religion, it is a reminder of the many victims. I understand this reasoning at some level but wonder if fear mongering by the media and the ignorant play a huge part in spreading more hatred than compassion for the situation.

Much like France, we live in a liberated place that we are all able to ``choose`` what we want. We can do and say what we please as long as it falls within the principles of the law. Clothing laws are stipulated by each country. The law in France prohibits wearing religious symbols in government and in schools. This for me has always been a little confusing. Why care if I wear a cross, a kippah or a hijab? If I choose to wear my hair green or blue or if I am covered in tattoos, is that offensive? I suppose it's not about what they are wearing rather what people think it represents.

Throughout history, within almost all religions, there have been stipulations as to how a woman should act, how she should dress and what part she should play. Although some religions are evolving there are some that believe that the doctrines are an absolute. To not follow them is the ultimate strike against God. Luckily, I don't live in that country. Here we have the right to believe in what we want. We can go to church, the synagogue, the temple and/or the mosque and believe what we choose. Only recently is it acceptable not to be religious, tell someone 80 years ago that you are an atheist and I can guarantee that a hanging was not that far behind.

The Burkini (as well as the hijab) are a representation of Muslim women, a woman wearing it wants to remain modest within the terms of the religion. Here it is her choice but not all countries give that right. If a woman is comfortable with those beliefs and she is not harming anyone or being harmed, why on earth would we condemn it? To believe in something is now incomprehensible? I truly believe that the burkini or the hijab are not the problem but the fear of what most people think it represents. Not all Muslims are terrorists, not all Muslims want to harm and a piece of clothing is definitely not going to change anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 The Covid Year

It took me a while to decide how I was going to start this blog as it has been so long since I have written that I did not want to start on ...